Re: Installing Debian on Windows 7 machine?

On Sat 20 Oct 2012 at 12:09:44 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> Since my current box is still having random lockups with no solution
> in sight I am likely to be purchasing a new computer soon.  It will,
> in all likelihood come with Windows 7 pre installed.  I want to load
> Debian on it, as well.  I am familiar with www.goodbye-windows.com
> and www.goodbye-microsoft.com, but they both are for 32 bit Windows
> systems.  Is there a similar website for 64 bit machines?  If not,
> it has been a long time since I have done a totally fresh install,
> and even longer since I have done a fresh install on a machine with
> Windows on it.  Any suggestions as to the best/easiest /safest way
> to go about this?

Those sites are interesting but why not go straight to the heart of the
matter. Get at 64-bit netinst. Run it. Shrink the Windows partition if
necessary. Or get rid of Windows. Install Debian. Couldn't be easier.

You are in control with this. No need to search for websites with
64-bit versions of some software which is intended for someone actually
having Windows and wanting to install Debian from it without putting any
effort into it.