Re: please put not all into multiarch!

On 10/20/2012 5:02 AM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Dear package-teams,

please do not put everything to multiarch! Just let me explain, why I think
so.

As already reported here, many users (and me too) got into a lot of problems,
beccause the 32-bit nvidia drivers are now put into multiarch.

Doing so, several applications, like googleeearth, X-plane and some other 32-
bit stuff, which worked PERFECTLY before, did not run any more.

So I decided, to change to multiarch. Quickly added i386 (dpkg --add-
architecture i386) to my system and did an aptitude update.

But then, when I wanted to install the nvidia-glx package (32-bit), aptitude
messed with several other packages. It wanted to deinstall skype (which is
running perfectly in 64-bit environment), crrsim and some other 32-bit
packages, due to unmet dependencies.

Aptitude wants to deinstall those packages, or forces me, to install a lot of
32-bit libs, which I do not need!

Hmm, as all these apps were working before in amd64 environment, I see no
sense , why to crap my system with a bunch of libs, which I am not needing (as
the apps are already running).

As I said: I just need to install a single package from i386, and do not want
to change my whole system!

Just understand, I do not want to mourne against the idea of multiarch, but I
think, you should not put every 32-bit thingies into i386.

Some packages should be made directly installable from amd64, there are coming
driver into my mind as well as some decent packages (i.e. wine stuff).

For those with the same problem: My workaround for now is just to deinstall
every nvidia package and use the installer from the nvidia site. This let me
install 64-bit and 32-bit driver, and googleearth is happily running again.

Best regards

Hans

Hans, the state of multiarch, post-Wheezy, is that it is not ready for use. As you have found, it is not compatible with everything, or perhaps it should be put the other way: Not everything may be compatible with it. People are advised to be patient about updating/upgrading, especially when running non-Debian software. In the fullness of time, it will all Just Work (tm). Allegedly.