Re: CUPS is not broadcasting printers

On Fri 19 Oct 2012 at 11:58:59 +0200, Karl wrote:

> my new CUPS Server (1.4.4-7+sq) is not broadcasting any printer queues to
> the LAN. The required avahi (dnssd) daemon is up and running. Avahi also
> distributes printers that I have manually creates in the /etc/avahi/services
> directory, but not the printers that have been configured in CUPS.
>
> I searched around and found an interesting discussion about a bug in CUPS
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/465916) which points
> into the direction of a new avahi api not used by cups.
>
> I wonder that this bug is still around and how all cups servers in the world
> broadcast their printers with squeeze today.
>
> Any ideas?

>From changelog.Debian:

 cups  (1.4.5-2) unstable; urgency=low

   [ Till Kamppeter ]
   * debian/patches/cups-avahi.dpatch: Added patch from Tim Waugh from Red Hat
     to implement full Avahi support, not only for printer discovery by the
     "dnssd" backend but also for print queue broadcasting and browsing by the
     scheduler (CUPS daemon). Fixes LP: #465916.