Re: Debian Wheezy Architecture

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 09:46:19AM -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> Debian 6.0.5 (64 bit)/KDE 4.4.5
>
> I have just migrated to Debian and would like to implement Multiarch.
> According to the Debian Wiki it is present in dkpg since 1.16.2.
> However, the version in my installation is 1.15.8.3.

That is correct. You are using Debian Stable 6.0.5 (aka "Squeeze"). Debian 7.0 (aka "Wheezy") is still in testing, but IS due to migrate to stable in a few months.

You can either update to Wheezy now or wait until it becomes stable,
depending on your preferences.

> When I try to update the Synaptic Package Manager I get some error
> messages that don't mean anything to me at this stage in my
> understanding (?).
>
> Here are the error messages:
>
> Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/'
> as it has an invalid filename extension
>
> Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/'
> as it has an invalid filename extension

Not a problem. I believe there's some software (it might be synaptic,
I'm not sure) which makes back-ups of your apt-sources. You can safely
ignore this message.

> GPG error: http://cran.case.edu squeeze-cran/ Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not
> available: NO_PUBKEY 06F90DE5381BA480GPG

You should be wary of downloading packages from this repository as you
have no guarantee that they are the files released by its maintainers
(That is, you might download them correctly, but if a suspicious
package was uploaded to the server, you can't tell).

> error: http://www.deb.us.multimedia.org squeeze Release: The following
> signatures were invalid: NODATA 1 NODATA 2
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://www.deb.us.multimedia.org/dists/squeeze/main/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://www.deb.us.multimedia.org/dists/squeeze/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.bz2
> Sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code (2)

These look like an error in your apt-sources. According to "whois",
multimedia.org is hosted by a domain-parking name server. Probably you
meant deb-multimedia.org? But there isn't[1] a US mirror for them, so
I'm not sure.

> Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.
>
> The /etc/apt/sources.lst is:
>
> #
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
> Binary-1 20120512-14:34]/ squeeze contrib main
>
> # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.5 _Squeeze_ - Official amd64 DVD
> Binary-1 20120512-14:34]/ squeeze contrib main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
> non-free
>
> # squeeze-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> # A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following
> entries # are provided as examples, but you should amend them as
> appropriate # for your mirror of choice.
> #
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze contrib non-free main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze contrib non-free main
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
> deb-src http://cran.case.edu/bin/linux/debian squeeze-cran/
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian squeeze main
> deb http://www.deb.us.multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
> sources.list (END)
>
> What I really need is a pointer towards a really basic discussion of
> Synaptic an apt.

While this[1] is marked as "obsolete", it's still a good starting place.

[1] http://deb-multimedia.org/debian-m
[2] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/