Re: Number of Debian packages available.

On Ma, 16 oct 12, 18:44:20, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> > Why should every application *capable* of outputting to jackd force one
> > to install jackd?
>
> Jackd could be a "suggested dependency", if you don't use jackd, why
> should the app link against the lib? The app should link against it, as
> soon as you configure the app to use jackd and than you need jackd
> completely, not only the lib.

As far as I know (not my area of expertise, but I have been struggling
to compile XBMC for my Raspberry Pi recently), such capabilities are
compile time options.

When you compile an application with output capability to jackd and/or
pulseaudio the corresponding library becomes a hard dependency (i.e. the
application may even crash if the library is not installed).

Or would you expect regular users to recompile applications just to
choose between plain alsa, pulseaudio or jackd output?

Kind regards,
Andrei