Various modethods accesing debian-user list

I am subscribed to debian-user@lists.debian.org in the normal fashion. Last weekend, for an unknown/unknowable reason, mail from all lists from lists.debian.org was interrupted. Also I was unable to connect to the archive page. Whatever the problem was, it is apparently resolved.

That got me looking for alternatives in case it recurs.
I found reference to USENET access via linux.debian.user and was reminded of the digest alternative subscription.

I have 2 questions.
1. Is the link between the USENET newsgroup completely bidirectional with the mailing list?
    I'm posting this via USENET as a partial test for that.

Well, I *tried* to do so. My USENET access is via news.supernews.com . It carriers a group listed as linux.debian. I received a bounce message whose implications I did not understand. I'll start a sub-thread to discuss clarifying some information given on http://www.debian.org/support#usenet .

2. I've received a digest version already. It seems awkward - obviously a reflection on how I'm used to doing things. My question is "Does there exist some commentary on how to get the most from the digest?"

TIA