Re: Number of Debian packages available.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:46:01PM +0200, Titanus Eramius wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:30:41 +0100
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, all!
> > I have searched Wikipedia and the Debian wiki.  I have Googled.  I am
> > clearly using the wrong search terms, although I tried rewording in
> > sundry different ways.
> >
> > Approximately, in round terms, how may packages are available in
> > Debian (Squeeze?)
> > 1. in main
> > 2. in main, contrib and non-free
> >
> > I have an idea of roughly 20,000 in my head, but cannot remember why
> > I think it and it may be vastly out.  Nor into which of my two
> > categories the figure falls, if by any miracle it is correct.

According to my reading of the manual:

aptitude search '~smain'
 and
aptitude search '~smain|~scontrib|~snon-free'

should give you the answers you seek, however, I seem to get 0 for the
first and only 626 for the second, so my search-fu is failing me today.

> Maybe from Synaptic? It lists a total of packages it can fetch in the
> bottom left corner. I have all three archives active + backports,
> testing and unstable and Synaptic reports 43132 packages is available.
>
> But the question might be, what's a package, and what's a libary? Just
> my thoughts though.

Everything's a package, though it'd make sense to remove virtual
packages from the list.