checkinstall: error creating directory

Hello,

I created a package for some software using the checkinstall command. When I try to install that package using "dpkg -i packagename.deb" it fails due to some missing directories in /etc. The exact output is the following:

(Reading database ... 53664 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ganeti-instance-debootstrap (from ganeti-instance-debootstrap_0.11-2_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing ganeti-instance-debootstrap_0.11-2_amd64.deb (--install):
 error creating directory `./etc/ganeti/instance-debootstrap': No such file or directory
 ganeti-instance-debootstrap_0.11-2_amd64.deb

Indeed, the /etc/ganeti/instance-debootstrap directory does not exist. But isn't the checkinstall or dpkg software supposed to create it for me somehow?

Cheers,
ML