Re: Question about Users

On 10/13/2012 11:07 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 10:36 -0400, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
Although I have been using Linux for a number of years now I have just
migrated my systems to Debi an and I have a question about
permissions.

Every distribution that I have used in the past has assigned a User,
for example 'computation'. in my case and has automatically put the
User in a Group 'users'.  I noticed that in Debian both the User and
Group are the same, i.e., 'computation'.  My question is why?
Why not ;)?

"users: While Debian systems use the user group system by default (each
user has their own group), some prefer to use a more traditional group
system. In that system, each user is a member of the 'users' group." -
http://wiki.gacq.com/index.php/Debian_default_system_groups_description

It's your freedom to setup your Linux as needed. PolicyKit, su, sudo,
groups and permissions etc..

Note, that groups with the same name, for different installs, could have
different IDs.

id -a

does show you group names and IDs, valid only for the install you run
"id -a". You might have noticed that some groups are named abc on one
install and if you list a directory from another install or live CD, the
group names change to xyz.

Regards,
Ralf

Thanks for the replies.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.           Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry           Stochastic and multivariate