Re: arp cache incomplete entries

On Thursday, October 11, 2012 08:47:37 PM Celejar wrote:

> I'm no expert, but my impression is that any machine which is asked to
> connect to some other host by IP address will issue such an ARP
> request, so if I do 'ping x.x.x.x', and x.x.x.x has not been recently
> in contact with my machine, my machine will issue an ARP request.

Recall that all ethernet communication (layer 2) is done using MAC addresses.
Also recall that point-to-point links do not use ARP.

A little more specifically, if the IP->MAC translation entry is not in the
cache, the host will issue the ARP request. If the address is not on the local
LAN, the host will issue an ARP request for the appropriate gateway.