Re: Running 32bit OpenGL program with amd64

Alberto Luaces <aluaces@udc.es> writes:

> lee writes:
>
>> Francesco Pietra writes:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>> I would like to continue to use a 32bit graphical program based on
>>> OpenGL. It worked well on i386, requiring libXm.so.3 (from libmotif3).
>>>
>>> Is it conceivable to simply add libXm.so.3 (taken from my dismissed
>>> i388 PC) to ia32-libs?
>>
>> If you're running stable, it might work if all dependencies are
>> fulfilled.  You could try it out ...  In testing, 32bit support is
>> broken, and ia32-libs seems to be deprecated in favour of brokenarch.
>
> I had no problems using multiarch in testing and installing the required
> :i386 packages.

I've been using a 32bit application which stopped working when the
NVIDIA drivers were updated last time.  The reasons why it stopped
working are unknown, and apparently I would have to switch to brokenarch
before having a chance to get it working again.  There's no way to tell
which i386 packages would need to be installed, and since it doesn't
work anyway, there's no point in trying to find out.

> However, I had to use the nvidia drivers from experimental in order to
> have working 32-bit OpenGL libraries.

I have tried that at least three times now.  It doesn't work, causes
dependency problems and is difficult to fix once it's messed up.

32bit support is totally broken, brokenarch totally sucks, and I'm
majorly pissed and don't trust Debian anymore.  It seems unlikely that
the problem will be fixed before the next release is out, and I find it
amazing that they will leave the users of stable with this problem and
have them find out that their 32bit software doesn't work anymore after
the upgrade.  If it wasn't such a pita to do it, I'd already have
switched to something else.

--
Debian testing iad96 brokenarch