Re: Current user friendly documentation of Debian repository structure and use???

Curt wrote:
On 2012-10-05, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
To summarize:

I effectively _HAVE_ the contents of a relevant repository
on 8 physically discrete DVDs.
I *REQUIRE* that content to reside on a single partition of
a single disk in a form acceptable to apt-get.
For reasons I'll not go into, any solution requiring
networking of any form is irrelevant.

The thread below looks edifying for a simple solution to your
difficulties, if I'm understanding them correctly (it consists of
copying the dvds to disc as "iso" files and using apt-cdrom to create
sources accessible by apt-get).

http://oldsite.debianhelp.org/node/10486

HTH

Thanks. I'm not sure if that ends up at quite the same point I'm aiming at. I'm a newbie whose methodology ,_at the moment_, is driven more by desire to understand Linux than to than using it.

I was comparing the version of "Debian Repository HOWTO " at http://www.isotton.com/debian/docs/repository-howto/ with the older version which is on debian.org. Initial readings seemed the same. I didn't understand why one was labeled "obsolete". So I started doing a sentence by sentence comparison. That slowed me down enough to start understanding what I was reading ;/ That and having the CD in the drive and looking at the files as I was reading about them.