Re: apache2's handling of IP version 6

Hi,
Tom H

> Does ipv6 come up cleanly if you do a soft or hard restart of apache
> in rc.local?

I can't understand "a soft or hard restart".

But I examined as follows:

..Case 1..

I editted /etc/rc.local as follows: (Do I have to add "exit 0" at end ?)

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

exit 0

(Reference)
# /etc/rc2.d/
README	       S18apache2  S19openbsd-inetd  S21bootlogs
S14portmap     S19acpid    S19spamassassin   S22rc.local
S15nfs-common  S19atd	   S19ssh	     S22rmnologin
S17rsyslog     S19cron	   S20exim4	     S22stop-bootlogd

In this case, After booting finished, I was able to find port 80 in tcp6 lines
of "netstat -an".
I didn't need # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.
But a few seconds elapse at the stage of exim4.
Therefore,

..Case 2..
/etc/rc.local is same as Case 1.

And I executed,
# mv /etc/rc2.d/{S20,K80}exim4
# update-rc.d exim4 defaults

# ls /etc/rc2.d/
K01exim4       S17rsyslog  S19cron	     S21bootlogs
README	       S18apache2  S19openbsd-inetd  S22rc.local
S14portmap     S19acpid    S19spamassassin   S22rmnologin
S15nfs-common  S19atd	   S19ssh	     S22stop-bootlogd

In this case, After booting finished, I was unable to find port 80 in tcp6 lines.
I needed # /etc/init.d/apache2 restart.

> All that you really need for ipv6 is the "::1 ..." line. Having one
> line less on your X-less box won't make a difference.
>
> Is this your entire "/etc/hosts"? Don;t you have any ipv4 settings?!

The entire text is the following:

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.xx.xx	xxxx.xxx.xx	xxxx

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback