login problem [half OT]

squeese

I'm installing a server for a small business. Last week, a user could get her email. She's on a Mac; the server is Debian. I tried to get connectivity between her Mac and the server so she could keep some stuff on the server. Now her email is gone. She can ping and telnet, but ssh and email don't work anymore. I can connect with no problem, but she can't, nor can new users I create. This happens on her machine and on a laptop I've connected to the LAN.

I'm suspecting this has something to do with telnet and SSH/IMAP using different ways of validating passwords. The firewall is OK or telnet wouldn't work, and the only things I've tried are telnet, ping, IMAP, and SSH. I also suspect that something I did yesterday trying NFS and Netatalk broke things.

Can anyone shine a little light this way?? Like, am I right that there's a password problem, and what can I do about it?

TIA...

--
Glenn English