Re: monstermarketplace malware for linux?

On 9/25/2012 1:27 PM, Edward C. Jones wrote:
> I use up-to-date Debian testing (wheezy), amd64 architecture.
>
> When I do a Google search, I sometimes get a window asking if I want to
> do a search at monstermarketplace.com.  For Windows, there is a piece of
> malware with this name.  Does this malware now exist for linux systems?
> If so, how do I get rid of it?

This is javascript code that runs in an extension or plugin context.
You can confirm this by disabling javascript in your browser.  It's
platform agnostic and will affect *nix and Windows browsers.

If it's listed in your extensions or plugins simply uninstall it.  If
it's not, it's buried in your browser profile directory somewhere and
you'll have to find and delete it manually.  In the Windows world there
are myriad anti-malware programs that will remove many such rouge
programs.  I'm unfamiliar with any for Linux though I'm sure they exist.

Simply scanning your browser profile dir for .js files with a creation
date stamp correlating with the appearance of this problem, and deleting
them, should do the job.

--
Stan