Re: What is the procedure for patching the Debian kernel ?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:17:36 -0400 (EDT), Xelsior wrote:

> So, interesting document.
>
> I actually found an RT kernel in the repository ... the one linked
> from here - http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia#Realtime_kernel
>
> However that does not have the patches applied to usb/audio for the
> Electrix Ebox44. It also does not have ...
>
> CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
> CONFIG_HZ=1000
>
> Is there a SIMPLE procedure here to build this kernel image (or the
> stock one that downloads the rt patch in a separate archive).
>
> All I need to do is build everything as it is out of the box ACCEPT
> for a couple of patches to usb/audio AND the two config options. Of
> course the revision string must be right otherwise there are conflicts
> with linux-headers and DKMS.

Building a custom kernel is not a simple procedure.  Period.
Of course, the more changes you make, the more complicated the
procedure is.  But even making a simple change involves doing
a lot of things.  If you have out-of-kernel-source-tree modules
you need to build, and there is no Debian source package for it
that is designed to work with kernel-package, then you will
probably need to build custom headers, as well as a custom kernel.
The document to which I referred explains how to do this, but
the short answer is to use the kernel_headers target in addition
to the kernel_image target.  For example:

   fakeroot make-kpkg ... kernel_image kernel_headers

Note that when building a headers package you must run the entire
make-kpkg command under fakeroot: you can't use the --rootcmd fakeroot
option in this case.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :