RE: /var/spool/mail ?

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 06:52:24 -0400
Subject: Fwd: RE: /var/spool/mail ?
From: wolf.halton@gmail.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

Wolf Halton
http://sourcefreedom.com
Apache developer:
wolfhalton@apache.org
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Wolf Halton" <wolf.halton@gmail.com>
Date: Sep 25, 2012 6:50 AM
Subject: RE: /var/spool/mail ?
To: "Hadi Motamedi" <motamedi24@hotmail.com>, <debian-user@list.debian.org>

# echo "" > /var/spool/mail/root
will replace the content of the file with an empty string,  however you might want to see what has been accumulating there.
Usually you get system events notifications. You might or might not care about those. My servers send crontab results notifications and I like to periodically audit those to make sure they are working.
To automatically purge the root mail file, you could just add a crontab line for root of the above command preceeded by
0 0 1 * *
that purges the file once per month.  It is a little like pasting a happyface sticker over your car's oil pressure readout, so I would suggest not doing it that way, but instead going in and find the issues behind the symptom of "full root mailbox."

Wolf Halton
http://sourcefreedom.com
Apache developer:
wolfhalton@apache.org