Re: Installation

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 09:28:59 +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:

> Am 18.09.2012 um 18:12 schrieb Camaleón:
>
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:54:07 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>>
>>> To look at things from a possibly different perspective: what are the
>>> minimum advance-reading and resulting-understanding requirements, for
>>> install and (separately) for basic system usage, for e.g. Windows?
>>
>> For installing Windows "from scratch" I'd say the requirements are
>> pretty
>> the same: the user will need to know about BIOS booting preferences,
>
> In most cases (99.9%?) the default boot sequence will do it.

I think booting from HDD is the default in notebooks (to speed up the
booting process) and if we also take into account netbooks (which provide
no optical media unit) things are even more complicated.

>> hard
>> disk partitioning strategies
>
> AFAIR Win takes it all, but asks before.

Which can be a poor decision in both Linux and Windows (considering 3 TiB
is a normal size for today hard disks).

Well informed users will prefer to use a different layout depending on
their hard disk possibilities (for instance, with two hard disks
available I like having the OS installed in one of them and data in the
other).

>> and filesystem formats,
>
> Win (since Vista) has only NTFS. It's hard to force FAT-formatting for
> e.g. an external USB drive.
> No choice, no pain (for the user).

Call me "old-fashioned" but I think the lack of options can never be seen
as a "pro". Anyway, despite the lack of options in this regard, the user
still need to know that the drive will be formatted as NTFS or that newer
Windows versions requires from non FAT32 formatted system partitions.

>> network settings and
>
> DHCP.
> If not, then the user needs basic knowledge.

Again, the user has to know before hand what DHCP refers to and if he/she
already has a DHCP server in place.

>> the basic rules for choosing a username and password.
>
> That's easy.
>
> Helmut Wollmersdorfer

Bad example. I would not use a blank space for neither username nor
password for the login credentials, just in case ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón