Re: ntpd crashes.

Mauro <mrsanna1@gmail.com> writes:
> I think ntpd crashes are because my server lost time.
> I have ntpd in two server, now I've seen that in one of these ntp
> crashes and the time of the server is 1 hour forward.
> That's why ntp crashes: server time goes 1 hour forward and ntp can't
> resynchronize so it crashes.
> Now I don't know why my server time goes 1 hour forward.
> Hwclock --debug says that the time is correct, it is set on UTC, so
> why sometimes it goes forward?
> Perhaps a problem in the cmos battery?

Hi Mauro, I find this interesting because I have seen the same behavior
with ntpd crashes on my server.  Time jumps forward one hour every time
this has happened.  However I'm not convinced it's the hardware causing
ntpd to crash.  I don't understand why ntpd process exiting silently
would allow the jump either, I would expect it to drift a few seconds
over time, but one hour exactly every time?!  Even with monit in place,
within the two minute window that polling takes place and ntpd has
crashed, before monit automatically starts ntpd, time is forward an
hour.

Do you happen to run a SuperMicro 5016T-MTFB¹ or a simlar board with an
IPMI/baseboard management controller?

¹ http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5016/SYS-5016T-MTF.cfm

--
Gerald Turner   Email: gturner@unzane.com   JID: gturner@unzane.com
GPG: 0xFA8CD6D5  21D9 B2E8 7FE7 F19E 5F7D  4D0C 3FA0 810F FA8C D6D5