Re: Installation

On Sat, September 15, 2012 2:11 pm, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 15 sep 12, 13:35:36, Weaver wrote:
>> >
>> > Is this a guess or did you actually calculate the installed size?
>>
>> Neither.
>> It's from personal experience.
>> The other two installs are this one I'm posting on = 2778 installed
>> packages, which was about 1000 more than that before I pared it down - I
>> have a lot of font packages and editors for writing.
>> And a GUI-less system of just over 800 packages.
>
> On my system (lxde + some development packages ~= 4 GiB if I clean apt's
> cache) gnome and kde-standard together would pull in "just" some
> additional 2 GiB.

That's because you know how to trim a system according to your needs.
Newbies don't know what 'trim' means, yet.
This system is overblown, yes, but at the moment, learning LaTeX and any
number of other projects, I actually need this stuff.

On the other system?
No.
But that's for something different.

>> exchange
>> >
>> > Still very technical, and why the reference to Virtual Memory?
>>
>> Because they have probably come from a Windows environment and may
>> identify with that concept.
>
> I'd rather not make any assumptions about previous knowledge.

No, that's a good move, but as I said, this is far from the finished
article. It wasn't even a five minute job.

But this is what the post is for.
The resultant discussion that will help clean it up.

>> Let me
>> > take a shot:
>> >
>> > The swap partition is a scratch area on your hard drive used by the
>> > operating system.
>>
>> Yes, but they may wonder what 'a scratch area' is.
>
> Too non-technical? :p

No.
Too vernacular.
We're dealing with an international audience.
Many would have trouble with vernacular.

> "The swap partition is a temporary storage used by the operating
> system."
>
> I removed the "hard drive" part since SSDs are becoming more common and
> it's possible to install Debian also on USB sticks or SD cards.

Yes.
Better.
Or 'transitional storage'?
Regards,

Weaver
--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine