Re: Dual-Monitor help

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> I used FVWM since somewhere in the early 1990's specifically because
> it existed as a fully functional window manager that wasn't changing.
> It was stable over decades.  Think of the Ubuntu Unity transition, the
> KDE 3->4 transition, the GNOME 2->3 transition, all very disruptive
> thrashes for their users.  Using fvwm I missed all of those because
> fvwm has been stable throughout.  (I also missed the hpwm -> mwm ->
> CDE thrash too by using fvwm but fewer people today would remember
> those these days.)  FVWM is a good window manager and is actually the
> ancestor of the XFCE window manager.

Oh I know exactly what you mean :)  Things like fvwm and emacs have been
around (almost) since ever and they just work.  You learn them once and
that's it.  You come back to them anyway after trying others, so don't
waste your time and learn them right away.

> In any case, a stock fvwm with default configuration is quite usable.
> I have customized mine somewhat.

If you want something more fancy, you can try fvwm-crystal.  I wouldn't
recommend it, though, because it's too difficult to customise for your
needs with the thousands of little configuration files it puts all over
the place.  It seems to be meant to be used as is, and as is, it's not
what I want.  So I switched to fvwm and it's easy to customise.

> But most recently I have converted to using tiling window managers.  I
> am currently typing this in while running the 'awesome' window manager.

I think I tried it, being curious about tiling WMs.  It's a great idea I
couldn't get used to, I kept wanting to resize and move windows too
much.

> For email I use the 'mutt' mail user agent.  It is extremely fast.  It
> is keyboard driven so once again learning the keystrokes to drive it
> meant spending some time reading the manual and the online help.  I
> have customized mutt extensively.  Some of the default behavior is too
> "dumbed down".  It asks for too many confirmations.  Basically like
> 'rm -i' for everything.  It is annoying.  But highly customizable.
> And so I have customized it and I am extremely happy with it.

I totally agree :)  And you're definitely going to love gnus!  I've used
mutt for 15 years or so and never could find anything better --- until I
tried gnus.  Gnus is like the "power version" of mutt.  Give it a try,
it's part of emacs.  Use emacs 24.2.x, there have been important fixes
to gnus.

Mutt always felt like badly integrated with emacs.  It doesn't work so
well to run mutt in emacs, and using emacs as an external editor for
mutt isn't ideal, either.  Gnus removes this issue.  Gnus has features
I've been missing in mutt, and mutt will probably never have them.  Gnus
has features I never even dreamed of.

Gnus is slower than mutt, yet not so slow that I couldn't live with it.
It's not really slow.

> For the web I tend to use Firefox for most things.  I use the
> 'firemacs' plugin for keyboard driving.

Have you tried dwb?  It uses vi-like key bindings and webkit.  I kept
pressing the wrong keys and went back to seamonkey.  Vi just isn't my
thing.

> for the growing 10% that requires fluff and glitter of massive
> Javascript and Flash I use Chromium with the 'vimium' extension.

Hm I tried Chromium a while ago and found it can't do anything at all.

> Each tab in Chromium is a separate process.  Therefore I can kill the
> tab and free up the memory consumed by those sites.

Cool, maybe I should try it again.  Seamonkey uses so much CPU and
memory that I'd really like to have a replacement.

> user I have customized the default screen command key from C-a (used
> by me in emacs all of the time) to C-z.

That was something that really annoyed me with screen.  I couldn't agree
with myself with key to use instead and left it at the default and
always greatly missed C-a.  Tmux uses C-b instead of C-a by default ---
somehow that is much better :)

--
Debian testing amd64