RE: Dual-Monitor help

> From: lee@yun.yagibdah.de
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: Dual-Monitor help
> Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 03:16:55 +0200
>
> Nelson Green <nelsongreen84@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > have no choice but to run a GUI of some type. I would like to learn to do so
> > with a minimal footprint if you would be willing to share some tips. I find
> > my primary use of the GUI is email, the web apps I have to support, and
> > Guayadeque for my classical music fixes.
>
> You could try fvwm and a recent emacs24 with gnus and tmux (or screen)
> in rxvt. You might be much happier with a tiling window manager like i3
> (they have a nice video on youtube) rather than fvwm, though.

I will look into these and report back, but don't be surprised if that doesn't
happen for a few weeks. I just got handed a brand new server yesterday, to
install, configure, secure, and maintain.

> > all I really need is dual monitors so I can update things in Terminal and
> > refresh the page in the web browser, and a locking screen saver, for which
> > xscreensaver works just fine. In fact I wouldn't mind just having TTY1 on
> > one monitor and the GUI on the other if that is possible.
>
> Xscreensaver is fine. You can have two different displays for X sessions
> (one on each monitor) rather than having one display that goes across
> both monitors. I haven't tried to have one X display on one monitor and
> the console on the other --- that should be somehow possible ...

Actually I'm sure it probably is, but it might take some serious hacking. I will
definitely report back if I get this one figured out. If you have some pointers
on different X sessions on different displays I'll take those as well. I might just
try that one at home for grins.

Thanks for the input.
Nelson