Re: deprecated (Re: What Version To Install On iMac?)

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 05:26:09PM +0200, lee wrote:
>> "The administrator installed disapproved software. Since then, many
>
> No. That would have got you a smack over the hand with a ruler. :)

Then how do you say that?

>> users have had trouble with the system and the administrator became
>> deprecated."
>
> Doesn't seem right. People don't become deprecated, not in common usage
> anyway.

Ok, let's say "users had trouble with the system and (using) the system
became deprecated." and consider that it is not the best possible
example, so give it some leeway.

>> "Disapproved" would now be an adjective, same as "deprecated". In both
>> cases, "deprecated" is an adjective. You could also say "... and
>> deprecated the administrator". What would that be?
>
> That would be wrong, and another smack over the hand with a ruler, for
> arguing with the "teacher" (not me, just imagining you sitting in your
> chair with teacher standing over you with ruler.)

That teacher (not you) would find their ruler shoved up somewhere where
they probably won't like it very much because I don't let myself being
treated like that.  I'm just trying to understand something.  If I was
arguing, I might say that warding something off by prayer seems more
likely to work with humans than with machines or systems, so people
*can* be deprecated (much easier than machines or systems).  It just
depends on the people whom you try to deprecate ...  (Teacher might then
say I'm a smartass.  I could live with that because I already know that
I'm smarter than the teacher:)

>> Are you saying it's not possible to say that "the administrator
>> installed disapproved software" because "disapproved" cannot be used as
>> an adjective?
>
> Yes.

Hm ok, so it's "deprecated software"?  Is there a direct synonym for
"deprecated"?  Hmm ... " 'disapproved of' software" maybe? Or
"discommended software"?[1]

[1]: http://thesaurus.com/browse/deprecate

>> How do you call it when software or an administrator is being
>> deprecated, i. e. the process of deprecating something/making something
>
> I can only think of the word "redundant" (surplus to requirements) at
> the moment. e.g. The administrator was made redundant because of
> restructuring.

Hm I wouldn't use that because it has a very different meaning for me
which goes more into the direction of [2].  Besides [2], the point with
redundancy is that it can be assumed as something actually useful to
decide whether a judgement is actually true or not.  (See the being
smarter than the teacher thing as another bad example for redundancy;)

So the teacher (administrator) became "superfluous" or "unnecessary" ---
which won't be the same as deprecated: He might still be needed.

[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundancy_theory_of_truth

>> software doesn't make the software deprecated, like someone can
>> disapprove of libreoffice, which doesn't mean it's deprecated.)
>
> True. I'm sure Lisi could explain it better, although it is getting way
> off topic.

Yeah, I know --- I find it very interesting, though :)

--
Debian testing amd64