Re: No sound when attempting to play an audio CD

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 10:13:06PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 06:55:36 -0400 (EDT), Brian wrote:
> >
> > I use the first method with cdtool. Let's get the obvious out of the
> > way. You're in the cdrom and audio groups. The cable is connected
> > correctly and securely. The speakers are connected correctly to the
> > output of the sound card.
>
> I can confirm that my userid is in the cdrom and audio groups.  I haven't
> checked the cable connections yet, but I plan to do that tomorrow.
> But the problem seems to be more systemic.  I can't seem to get aplay
> to work on a .wav file.  It runs, and it generates messages on the
> screen, but no sound.
> >
> > Pulseaudio isn't on my system but isn't it a daemon? Wouldn't stopping
> > it allow you to eliminate it as a cause?
>
> pulseaudio is a "depends" (not a "recommends") dependency of gnome-core;
> so I can't de-install it.  As for killing the daemon, gnome automatically
> re-spawns pulseaudio if I kill the daemon.  I have to stop gnome.
> But even then, no output from playing audio CDs and no output from aplay.
> Yet, gnome can generate sounds.  Maddening.

If you suspect that pulseaudio is hogging your sound system and that the
program you're using also wants to talk to the sound system itself, then
you might try re-routing the sound through pulseaudio:

$ padsp some-program-that-uses-OSS

In the same way that we had a user recently who was trying to use
OSS-based programs to talk to ALSA, you may need this "compatibility
layer" to allow your programs to talk to pulseaudio.

P.S. I don't know why this would affect cdtool as that should, in
theory, bypass any software, but maybe I don't understand sound cards as
well as I think.