Re: [OT] How to redirect input/output to another console?

On 08/09/12 14:58, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Hi folks,

I know, maybe this is not the right forum, as my question is not really debian
based. But maybe you might want to help either.

I have a friend far away from me, which is using debian/testing same as me. As
I am helping this woman sometimes, and she is willing to learn, I would give
her an option, to see, what I am doing in the shell (input, output and error).

She is also capable working in the shell (but still not very experienced with
it), and so I am looking for a way, that
- either she can see, what I am doing in my shell
- I can see her shell
- or best, we can both work in ONE shell

IMO it is a good way for her, to learn, what is going on.

I know, that the first was possible in the past, but I cannot remember any more
how I did it, it was something with redirecting, Of course I read the manuals,
and searched the web, but I still did not find the best solution, yet.

Any hints are welcome.

I'd use screen. Get your friend to start a screen session with

  screen -U -a -S myscreen

then log in to her machine and connect to the same session with

  screen -U -a -x myscreen

for this.

The -U (use UTF-8) and -a (use full terminal capabilities) are optional.

It's low bandwidth and you'll be sharing the same shell session. Screen also has the advantage that if you get disconnected, you can reconnect to the same session again.

--
Dom