Re: Do I still need alsa if I have pulseaudio

On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 09:41 +0200, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> On 04/09/12 21:43, Jon Dowland wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:59:19AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> Yes, pulseaudio needs ALSA. Note that pulseaudio is bad programmed
> > That's certainly an opinion, and perhaps a commonly-repeated one, but
> > an opinion non-the-less.
> >
> +1 - I'm with Jon on this one.

That's not an opinion. 1. The way how volumes are adjusted is insane, I
already explained it in another thread. 2. Pulseaudio does expect
information from ALSA drivers, they often can't give, so ALSA drivers
that are working without pulseaudio, won't work with pulseaudio. Seems
to be related to "1.". 3. Multi-Channel IO cards needed for DAWs can't
be used. So at least making PA a hard dependency for a DE is bad. Here
we call this "facts", not an opinion.

Regards,
Ralf