Re: how to configure contrast buttons on Squeeze laptops ?

On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 11:21 +0200, David Cho-Lerat wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've installed Squeeze on 3 different laptops recently :
> a Dell, a Packard Bell and a Toshiba. On the Dell, the
> contrast buttons work : I can press "Fn" + "Up"/"Down"
> to set the screen contrast level.
>
> On the  others, though, they don't (in addition, on the
> Toshiba the "mute" key doesn't work either).
>
> Where should I look ? Is this related to Xorg ? the video
> card driver ? something else ?
>
> Thanks all !
>
> Toshiba Satellite L775-18Z : nVidia GeForce 315M
> Dell Studio 1735 : ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
> Packard Bell EasyNote LM : ATI Mobility Radeon ? (have to check..)

I've read several times on mailing lists about this issue, but I didn't
follow the discussions. FWIW for my tower PC's monitor the buttons don't
work, when using the proprietary NVIDIA driver versions for some time
past. If I turn the monitor off and on again, the buttons work. Not a
solution for a laptop.
Did you test all available drivers?
nv (perhaps not available for stable), nouveau, nvidia (the
proprietary), vesa? Just to ensure that it's not caused by the driver.
What driver do you use?

Regards,
Ralf