Re: copying data from a partition with badblocks

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:50:09PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> developing bad blocks. They are usually at room temperature (no air
> conditioning), partitioned via cfdisk + mke2fs.

I think room temperature is a vague term considering the temperature
range which occurs in each country. The specifications of a device
normally give the operating range. Personally, I believe that it is
sudden changes in temperature which is more problematic.

So if someone says room temperature to me: I'm assuming 18 degrees C to
around 25 degrees C. Of course, this is not always the actual
temperature. For example, in the Summer It can reach lower 30's (unusual
in this neck of the woods, but occassionally happens) whereas in the
Winter it only drops to around -5 at the extreme, although this is only
occassionally as well.

My guess is that in "hot countries", where, during the day the
temperatures can be reasonably unbearable, and then at night where the
temperatures can be a "bit chilly" will be more problematic than in
countries where the temperatures don't vary as much.

So even if the operating temperature is well within the specifications,
the amount of variation may be a factor.

The term controlled environment says to me, that it is controlled as far
as the equipment is concerned, not humans. I am not too sure what the
ideal temperature for a hard drive to operate at but I remember that in
an unmanned electronic telephone exchange it was rather uncomfortable
for humans, and there was a switch on the wall which you could press
which would alter the humidity (and temperature?) so as to be a bit more
healthy for humans.

I think a better term would be "office environment" for where it is
controlled for human comfort.

Also I forgot to mention that humidity could be a major factor on
hard drive reliability and MTBF.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X