Using a proxy with iceweasel

Hi,

I am connecting to a wifi network which uses a proxy server. If I export
the http_proxy variable correctly in /etc/bash.bashrc the proxy server
is working correctly for command line browsers such as lynx.

However, if I set the iceweasel proxy setting to "use system proxy
server settings" it does not work. If I set the proxy server manually in
iceweasel it does work.
I connected to a variety of wifi networks though so I don't want to have
to keep changing my proxy server settings manually in iceweasel. (I
check that I'm connected to this particular network before setting
http_proxy in /etc/bash.bashrc)

Also, the http_proxy variable appears to be set in the GUI (I open
gnome-terminal and type "echo $http_proxy") to verify this.

So, my question is how to make iceweasel use the settings from
http_proxy environment variable, so I don't need to update settings for different network
profiles by hand?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

Cheers,
Dan