Re: Query about failure of Debian 6 64 bit to swap properly

have a similar system to yours and just downloaded the 64 bit Opera on Squeeze. It installed quickly and with no errors. I have now ran it for several hours pushing it harder than I normally push my Iceweasel 16 and have experienced none of the issues you describe. Its lightning fast, stable, and uses very little CPU. Here is the Opera line from TOP:

PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
20 0 601m 278m 33m S 0 3.5 0:55.05 opera

As you can see, it is using 0% CPU and 3.5% mem, which is significant, but here is the Iceweasel line:

20 0 919m 266m 40m S 0 3.3 4:59.08 firefox-bin

So a very negligible difference.

In conclusion, I think this testing indicates that you are either running a corrupted install of Opera or you are running a poorly written/broken extension.