Re: Query about failure of Debian 6 64 bit to swap properly

Am Mittwoch, 29. August 2012 schrieb Bret Busby:
> > Then press F6 to change the sort function.  Use the up and down
> > cursor keys to select VIRT for sorting by size of virtual memory
> > usage.  What programs are the top virtual memory consumers on your
> > system?  (On mine it is usually firefox.)  Based upon what those
> > memory hogs are on your system we can advise what action might be
> > taken.
>
> opera web browser.
>
> Each window of it shows as using 14GB of virtual memory.

Again:

That does say nothing except for that Opera tends to be quite greedy
regarding allocating virtual address space.

But then on a 64 Bit system there is plenty of it. On this ThinkPad T520
with Sandybridge i5 Dualcore:

martin@merkaba:~> grep VmallocTotal /proc/meminfo
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB

If I am not completely mistaken thats 32768 GiB.

Look for RSS or resident set size as virtual address space is just the
kernels way to play poker with applications.

Its the physically used memory that counts.