Re: domain name

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012, Bob Proulx wrote:
> I have no idea why that is there.  I don't know what nook that
> configures.  I would let it lie dormant.  It might be some legacy
> xerox or token ring network interface for all I know.

Not really.  And the kernel does require DNS capabilities, but it uses
userspace helpers to do it.  NFS, CIFS, CEPH, AFS... all [can] use DNS.

> If *I* were writing it I wouldn't store this information in the kernel
> at all.  The kernel doesn't need it.  I would store it in a file on

It used to need it in the past at the very least, it is not there just for
the heck of it.  I am not sure how useful it is right now, though.

  Henrique Holschuh