Re: domain name

Glenn writes:
> Was there ever a time when there were no domains, just IPs?

There was a time before DNS when there were only hostnames.  Everybody
had a hosts file (/etc/hosts on Unix) that they periodically ftp'd from
the NIC.  Got cumbersome.

> Am I thinking wrong? Or is it possible somehow for a machine to have 2
> FQDNs?

On the public Internet my router is 174-124-12-228.dyn.centurytel.net
with IP 174.124.12.228.  On my intranet it is caesar.dhh.gt.org with IP
192.168.1.1.  On it "hostname -f" returns caesar.dhh.gt.org, but so
what?  That's just for internal use, and nothing running on it cares.
My Raspberry Pi is raspberry.dhh.gt.org with IP 192.168.1.101 on my
intranet but on the Pi "hostname -f" returns raspberrypi while
"domainname" returns (none) as I have never bothered to configure its
FQDN.  Doesn't matter.  Works fine: my local DNS knows that
raspberry.dhh.gt.org means 192.168.1.101.

Your FQDN is what the relevant DNS says it is.  It isn't something you
set locally, though you may want to record it locally for the
convenience of programs such as MTAs that want to know.  You may want to
tell different programs different lies, though.

--
John Hasler