Re: Incorrect MAC Address

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012, Garrett McLean wrote:
> Here is a partial list of some of the many addresses I have gotten on
> wheezy amd64:
>
> 00:0F:1F:C7:E4:39
> 00:1F:1F:CF:F4:39
> 00:1F:0F:CF:E6:39
> 00:1F:1F:8F:F0:3F
> 00:0F:0F:87:F0:1F
> 80:1F:0F:CF:F0:3F
> 80:1F:0F:CF:F0:3F
> 00:0F:0F:87:E6:3F
>
> The device will operate just fine with its shiny new MAC address, I'm not
> looking for paths to functionality. What I am wondering is:
>
> 1. What's causing this?

AFAIK, it means that either the device lacks a hardwired MAC, or that the
kernel driver is not operating correctly.

Yes, directly at bugzilla.kernel.org for best effect (or report it to
netdev@vger.kernel.org).

> 3. Is there way to make the system use the device's real MAC?

You can work around this by forcing the MAC address in
/etc/network/interfaces.  The "ip link set" command can change it as well.

  Henrique Holschuh