Re: xsesssion-errors

On 08/31/2012 05:13 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
> I keep seeing references to NVidia in my .xsesssion-errors file. I
> haven't used Nvidia for a couple of years. What could be hanging
> around from those days ??
>
> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory

VDPAU is an api to allow software to use hardware video decoding on
nvidia cards.[0]

This message only means some software (perhaps the flash plugin, since
you mentioned Firefox, or even Firefox itself because of HTML5 video) is
trying to open the dynamic library to use its capabilities if possible.
But since it's not installed, it cannot load it, and reverts to software
decoding.

I'd say it's harmless.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

--
"The only real way to look younger is not to be born so soon."
		-- Charles Schulz, "Things I've Had to Learn Over and

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br