Re: Please help parsing file [sed, awk, fortran, bash]

Le vendredi 31 août 2012 à 09:48 -0400, Miles Fidelman a écrit :
> For going through a file, line-by-line, and massaging the format, my
> first instinct would be sed.  That's what it's intended for.

Actually, I did not read the whole thread (shame on me) prior to
answering. I think what is really important here is:
1) Where the data are coming from.
2) What you want to do with your data.

For instance if it is coming from a fortran program and you have the
sources of it, you might want to improve the program directly by adding
a new kind of output to it.

If this is some kind of old files that were generated by a former
version of the program. Then a quick conversion script using anything
you want might do the trick: you'll just have to run it during a limited
time then you will discard it because the newest version of the program
already provides you with relevant output.

If you are aiming at postprocessing your data, just try to stick to the
language(s) you choose for that to parse the file.