Re: XFS TRIM Support on Debian 6.0.5 ?

On 8/31/2012 2:37 AM, Andy Chandra wrote:
> Hi Stan,

Hi Andy,

Please always make sure you reply to, or CC, the list so all people see
all posts and so they get archived for those searching Google.

> Thank you for your clue.
>
> Because it looks like little bit complicated,

If you see that as complicated I'm surprised you're managing servers.
No offense intended here, just being frank.  What I mentioned is utterly
simple compared to most of what people on this list do every day.

> What if I just use EXT4?

Doesn't matter which filesystem you use.  The FITRIM code is common to
all Linux filesystems.  But if you've read my follow up email you'll
realize you're not going to be able to use TRIM anyway, not with RAID.

> Will Debian 6.0.5 TRIM my SSD automatically?

NO.  It must manually be enabled.  And again it won't work with RAID.

> And for MySQL, Will XFS helps me lot than EXT4?

The application doesn't matter, whether mysql, pgsql, apache, SMTP,
IMAP, etc.  It's the load on the application that matters, i.e.
concurrent user accesses per unit time.  For light/medium load EXT4 is
usually fine.  For heavy/insane load you should use XFS.  XFS is better
all around due to superior performance and tools.  I use XFS
exclusively.  I've never used EXT3/4, Reiser, or JFS.  XFS is simply
superior with parallel workloads.  Most server workloads are parallel.

I get the feeling you manage your servers from a GUI, and don't have
much command line experience.  If this is the case then it doesn't
matter what you use.  People who manage from a GUI never have high load.
 Why?  If you have high load you must master the command line to
diagnose, troubleshoot, tweak, etc for maximum performance and
efficiency.  If you have high load and don't master the command line,
becoming a competent system administrator, then that high load turns
into no load, as all your users leave because the server is slow or
returns errors due to timeouts and the like.

--
Stan