Re: copying data from a partition with badblocks

Go Linux wrote:

> wrote: I guess iOmega drives are not very stable.
>> I guess iOmega drives are not very stable.
>>

> I have several external drives from iOmega that are a few years old. But
> the drives inside the enclosure are Western Digital.  I've never had a
> problem with them.

How old is your oldest iOmega drive that does not have any problems? Can you
please give me its model?

Is the drive usually operated at room temperature or is it usually operated
in a controlled temperature environment (ex:- in an office where the temp is
always maintained at a specific level)

Also, how do you usually partition the drive (using fdisk/cfdisk and then
mke2fs to create the file system or some other method?)

I am asking all these questions just to see where things might be going
wrong. Usually my drives work fine initially. After 3-4 years, they start
developing bad blocks. They are usually at room temperature (no air
conditioning), partitioned via cfdisk + mke2fs.

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi