OpenVPN

I'm trying to connect to a VPN service via openVPN. When I try to connect (via network manager's gui) I get an error saying the openvpn service is not running. I do not see any errors in messages, syslog, daemon.log or dmesg about this. When I manually start the service it just says that it is starting, but nothing else. However running ps -ef shows no new processes. Stopping the openvpn service makes no difference in the process list either. I've restarted network-manager and even rebooted to ensure everything is loading properly, but to no avail.

To get to my current state i installed:

sudo apt-get install openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome

I created the VPN connection with the instructions from the VPN service, but since I can't get the OpenVPN software to even run I don't know what help they can provide.