Re: Query about failure of Debian 6 64 bit to swap properly

Bret Busby wrote:
> opera web browser.
> Each window of it shows as using 14GB of virtual memory.

Yowsa!  So if you exit Opera as a test then suddenly a lot of memory
is freed up and the system is suddenly back to its normal speedy
state?  Any other processes hiding behind it that are the second tier
of memory hog?

> A problem that I (appear to) have found, is that the malware named
> javascript appears to cause havoc in continually increasing usage of
> RAM.

Yes.  The curse of the modern world.  I normally run Firefox with the
noscript extension.  Then for the web sites that require Javascript I
use either Chromium or Midori with everything enabled, access the
site, then exit the browser afterward to free up the memory resources.

> Some web sites use client-side processing, via javascript, and I
> regard it as malicious, and I believe that a well written web site
> should not use client-side processing, but should instead use
> server-side processing.

The term you are looking for is "Progressive Enhancement".

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_Enhancement

As opposed to "Graceful Degradation".  Which is a terrible problem.
But one which more and more people are creating every day.

> In some web browsers that I use, I have javascript disabled, but I
> left it enabled in opera.

The outside world does what the outside world does.  If you can't find
a way to limit its memory use then you might just not be able to run
Opera continuously for long periods of time without restarting it.

Bob

--
They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they
outvoted me.  --Nathaniel Lee