Re: Query about failure of Debian 6 64 bit to swap properly

Hello Bret,

Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
> opera web browser.
>
> Each window of it shows as using 14GB of virtual memory.

Nice. Opera usually uses as much memory as it sees fit, but you can
set the memory cache manually (Preferences → Advanced → History). A
very wild guess would be that due to your extremely large swap space
(which is rarely used by anything), Opera thinks it might use much
more memory than normally. On my system (8 GB RAM + 8 GB swap), Opera
uses something between 1 and 3 GB (residual/virtual), depending on
how long it runs.

> A problem that I (appear to) have found, is that the malware named
> javascript appears to cause havoc in continually increasing usage of
> RAM.

Javascript is a programming language, not a malware.

> Some web sites use client-side processing, via javascript, and I regard
> it as malicious, and I believe that a well written web site should not
> use client-side processing, but should instead use server-side
> processing.

This is simply wrong, since many things are much faster with
additional client-side processing, not to mention the fact that one
may specifically want to do some client-side processing instead of
trusting the server with everything (and needing a TCP round-trip for
each request…).

> In some web browsers that I use, I have javascript disabled, but I left
> it enabled in opera.

I suggest you take a close look at the pages you usually visit.

Best regards,

Claudius
--
              A board is the planck unit of boredom.