Networking for kvm virtual machines

Hello,
I'm trying to learn more about networking and set up BIND, LDAP and
Nagios on a KVM virtual machine. The VM works great and I can ssh into
it from the host, and view the nagios pages from the host. However the
VM gets the address 192.168.1.x and the host is 192.168.1.2.

What I really want to do is set it up so that the VM just appears as
another machine on my network I can view from anywhere on my network.

I set up a bridge on the host, configured as below in /etc/network/interfaces;
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2
    network 192.168.1.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway   192.168.1.1
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_hello 2
    bridge_maxage 12
    bridge_stp off

If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this I would be very grateful.

James