Re: e2fsck errror: Error reading block (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read)

On 28/08/12 10:28, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
When I ran

$sudo e2fsck -c -c -f -v /dev/sdb7

I am getting a lot of errors such as

Error reading block 18022401 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
in short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.  Ignore error<y>? yes
Force rewrite<y>? yes
Error reading block 19562497 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
in short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.  Ignore error<y>? yes
Force rewrite<y>? yes
Error reading block 19824640 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
in short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.  Ignore error<y>? yes
Force rewrite<y>? yes
Error reading block 19824641 (Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted
in short read) while reading inode and block bitmaps.  Ignore error<y>? yes
Force rewrite<y>? yes

1) Does this mean there are badblocks on my hard drive?
2) Am I correct in choosing "yes" to both these questions or is there a
better way?
3) Is the drive going bad and need to be replaced?
4) What might have caused this problem and how to prevent it in the future?
5) Is the filesystem on this partition corrupted?

thanks
raju

Did you try to diagnose your hardrive with smartmontools? Smartmontools uses S.M.A.R.T.[1] technology included in harddrives, and displays info about predictable failures, time of use, etc.

Regards

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.