Re: Standard for soft return by automatic word and line wrap

On Sb, 25 aug 12, 14:46:10, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> After 72 signs my MUA does an automatic line wrap.
> When I receive mails from the list and I do reply, sometimes the quotes
> are bad. I experienced the same with mails from a friend and he told me
> that it takes 78 signs for him.
> Is there a standard for how many signs it should take to do an automatic
> line wrap?

The only thing that might come close to a standard would be this:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

- Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
      with a carriage return.

but 72 is a common value used by several established editors (like
(g)vim).

Kind regards,
Andrei