Re: mp3 to speex

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:01:18 -0800, peasthope wrote:

> Can speex be used to represent a recording which is mostly voice but has
> some non-voice sound?

I don't see why not :-?

> In this experiment the intention is to retrieve the stream by http, send
> PCM to stdout, pipe that to speexenc and save as a *.spx file.
>
> peter@dalton:~$ vlc --demuxdump-file=- http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/media/2011-2012/qq-2012-01-21.mp3 | speexenc qq-2012-01-21.spx
> VLC media player 1.1.3 The Luggage (revision exported)
> Warning: call to srand(1345820228)
> Warning: call to rand()
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
> Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
>
> Syntax corrections?

Mmm... maybe just a missing step :-?

The manual of "speexenc" describes itself as an "utility used to create Speex
files from raw PCM or wave files" I mean, nothing about mp3 as input source
so maybe is that you first have to convert the stream into PCM or WAV and
then send it to "speexenc" (i.e., mp3 → pcm/wav → speex).

I would look at "sox" as it seems very powerful for these kind of sound
processing tasks.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón