Re: gnome-session & charsh

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:34:35 +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

(please, don't cross-post or at least add a big warning...)

> Since the latest gnome, the sequence "startx" "gnome-session" is often
> attended by hanging of linux at "gnome-session" with both i386 and amd64
> wheezy. Gnome dislikes much more than in the past not be set completely
> free.

Yes, I've also noticed that in gnome3+gnome-shell (wheezy). By the way,
this adds an ugly side effect: the Xorg server goes crazy and starts
filling up the "/var/log/*" with hunderds of small "Xorg.nn.log" files ;-(

> I suggest that in Debian mirrors, gnome is so arranged that launching it
> be an optional. In computational chemistry/biochemistry, particularly
> with amd64, most work is at the linux prompt. Now, with the advent of
> CPU-GPU systems, the graphic interface is used with servers ans testing
> version, too. But only at certain stages.

That sounds a bit drastic measure that can match for specific corner
cases but I don't think is good to be set as default: most users expect
any GUI based desktop environment is automatically launched as soon as it
is installed alongside with a session manager.

In the end, advanced users do know how to prevent for a DE to be started
and for novices, having a GUI interface initiated by default is like a
big lifesaver ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón