Re: Problems with wlan connection via dhclient in Squeeze

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 23:10:45 +0200, Astrid Jürgensen wrote:

> I recently upgraaded the operating system of my laptop from Debian Lenny
> to Debian Squeeze. Since then, I have some problems connecting to the
> internet using dhclient.

(...)

Mmm... the only noticeable change I recall from lenny to squeeze
regarding the network it was this:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager#NetworkManager_in_Squeeze

But this is for setups where N-M handles the wireless adapter and given
you are manually configuring the network, you better try with tehse
guides and manuals:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch05.en.html

> What parameters do I have to change, in order to connect via wlan
> without connecting via ethernet cable first?

Mu wild guess is that you first need to configure the wireless card
accordingly to your setup, that is, by manually providing all of the
settings.

> 2. Looking through the various log-files (syslog, dmesg, ...) I noticed
> that the system tries to automatically connect to the internet
> continuously even when there is no connection available. How do I turn
> this off?

Better if you can provide the syslog so we can review what's going on
(you can omit any sensitive information).

> I only want the computer to search for and connect to the internet, when
> I specifically tell it to do so.

I think this is well explained in the above referred docs :-)

(hint: each network interface can be set to auto/allow-hotplug...)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón