Re: hibernate: swap on SSD = not fast

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:00:46AM -0500, hvw59601 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mindful of what Stan Hoeppner in various posts has written about SSD
> I thought I'd put swap on an SSD I installed (Samsung SSD 830 128GB)
> in order to get superfast hibernate.

I might be wrong here, but isn't the key benefit of SSDs that they have
a tiny access time? But that their read speed is about the same as a
normal disk (also, I might be wrong, but I understand their write speed
is average).

Hibernation, in contrast, is about writing out (and reading back) a
linear stream of data.

So, in summary, while SSDs may well help with swap performance, I'd not
expect them to be brilliant at hibernation.