Re: Dual-Monitor help

Nelson,
Did you install the driver package?  Either xserver-xorg-video-nouveau or xserver-xorg-video-nvidia (open and closed driver respectively) from apt or download and installed from Nvidia's site?

Shane

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Nelson Green <nelsongreen84@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nelson Green wrote:
> > I have a Dell Precision T5500 with dual video cards, and I would
> > like to have one large screen spread across the two monitors.
>
> I usually do this with a single graphics card.  So my suggestion might
> not be useful to you.  But...
>
> > I am not sure where to start. One thing I have tried to do is to see
> > what xrandr gives me, and I don't completely understand the output
> > of that. I have included that output, and a copy of Xorg.0.log
> > below.
> >
> > At this point I would welcome any suggestions as to what to try next.
>
> I would start with lxrandr.  Because even me being a staunch CLI
> advocate it is sometimes easier to click the mouse.  This is simply an
> graphical interface to xrandr.
>
>   # apt-get install lxrandr
>
>   $ lxrandr

Unfortunately, lxrandr only shows the single monitor. Another issue I
have is nothing from xrandr nor lxrandr shows an output interface. If
I could get that information I might at least have a place to start. As it
is, the only indications that the two cards are even known to the system
are the Xorg log, and the output of dmesg. Other than that nothing
seems to be aware of the second video card and/or monitor.

BTW, I also realized I forgot to mention that I am using the Xfce
Desktop. I doubt that makes any difference, but figured I should at
least mention it for completeness.

I appreciate the reply.
Patrick