Re: dpkg

On Friday 24,August,2012 12:41 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 24 aug 12, 00:31:23, lina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I read the man dpkg,
>>
>> and didn't think too much, just tried the
>>
>>   dpkg --clear-selections
>>
>> and then the dpkg --get-selections shows
>>
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | wc -l
>> 2991
>> root@Debian:/home/lina# dpkg --get-selections | grep  " install" | wc -l
>> 0
>>
>> I feel I am in trouble again, don't know how to recover/restore.
>> kinda of very silly though, but is it very dangerous?
>
> Let's see what apt/itude thinks of this. Please post the output of
>
>     apt-get install -s

# apt-get install -s
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

> and
>
>     aptitude install -s

# aptitude install -s
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  accountsservice acl acpi acpi-fakekey acpi-support acpi-support-base
  acpid acroread acroread-debian-files acroread-dictionary-en
  acroread-escript acroread-l10n-en adduser alien alsa-base alsa-utils
  anacron ant ant-optional anthy-common apache2-mpm-worker
  apache2-utils apache2.2-bin apache2.2-common apbs apg apmd apt

<snip the long long list packages, as you can guess, more than 2000
packages will be removed>

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, *2811 to remove* and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 9,209 MB will be freed.
 libgconf-2-4 : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4) but it is not going to be installed.

<snip, with long listh of dependence problems.>

> (-s stands for 'simulate' for both apt-get and aptitude)

I am in trouble, thanks for the helps.